Apr 22, 2021, at 07:00 PM Eastern Time
Colonial New York Research with Cynthia Grostick
A DGS Zoom webinar - registration is required
Many people descend from ancestors that helped to start this wonderful country. However, for a variety of reasons, we tend to stop at the War of Independence. There is a wealth of information available for those that were here prior to the Revolutionary War. Join us to learn the records that are available and where you would find them.
Help! How do I join a Zoom Webinar?
Several members have asked questions about signing up for and signing into one of our Zoom webinars. Zoom has created several help pages to assist attendees and organizers alike.
The link below specifically addresses how to join a Zoom webinar. Once you have your registration link, you will be able to join almost immediately. With the webinar, attendees are in listen and view mode—no need for a camera or microphone. The first time you join a Zoom meeting or webinar, it is recommended you download the Zoom Desktop Client or Mobile App.
Welcome! Dearborn Genealogical Society
The Dearborn Genealogical Society serves the Cities of Dearborn and Dearborn Heights in Wayne County, Michigan and the surrounding area.
Founded in 1966, the Dearborn Genealogical Society recently celebrated 50 years of serving genealogists in the community and those with roots in the Dearborn, Springwells, Greenfield, Fordson, and the Dearborn Township area.
2021 DGS Family History Story Contest
The Dearborn Genealogical Society will begin its 55th year with a Family History Story Contest.
- Please submit stories by mail, email.
- By submitting a contest entry, the author agrees to have the story printed in the DGS Newsletter.
- Story Length: 500-800 words.
- The author’s name, address, email/phone number should be included with the entry.
- A picture/photograph may be submitted with the entry.
- A panel from the Dearborn Historical Museum will judge the stories. Cash prizes to be awarded:
- 1st place: $50 plus a one year DGS Membership
- 2nd place: $30
- 3rd place: $20
- Submission deadline: September 1, 2021.
- Winners will be announced at our September meeting.
“Writing Your Way to the Past…" 2021 Suggested Prompts
- Every Photo Tells a Story
- The Skeleton in the Family’s Closet
- Finding a Famous Person in Your Family
- Select a family heirloom (watch, quilt, Bible, etc.) Where has it been? How did your ancestor acquire it? What has it encountered over the years?
- Write about your surname origins.
- Select an ancestor who served in the military. What experiences did he/she have?
- Choose a favorite couple from your family’s history. Write about the challenges they faced in their life together. What big decisions did they have to make?
- Surprises in my DNA testing results. What connections did you make?
- Naming traditions in your family. How did the tradition start? Stories of ancestors with that name?
- Other? A Topic of Your Choice.
The Society publishes a newsletter quarterly, which includes genealogical news, historical articles, new book notes, queries, and special features. Members are encouraged to submit items for publication.
Mail newsletter items to:
P.O. Box 1112
Dearborn, MI 48121-1112
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Michigan Genealogical Council
||War of 1812 Contributor